Polyurea coatings are ideal for your retail store floor because among many reasons, they will last for years and are very easy to maintain. A neoprene squeegee, stiff bristle broom, warm water and a small amount of detergent with a degreasing agent is all that is needed to keep your floor looking new for years.
Decorative concrete has become one of the leading flooring choices for retail stores nationwide during the past 5-10 years. The reason is the ability to customize a floor with a seamless surface that is easy to keep clean. The biggest complaint is how to maintain the facade. Typical water-based and acrylic sealers need an expensive maintenance system to protect the sealers. If the sealers wear out the decorative concrete underneath will be compromised.
In the past few years, a new protective coating has been developed that solves the problem of premature wear and expensive upkeep. This finish is a polyaspartic polyurea which is in the epoxy family but with an advanced chemical composition. These coatings wear like iron with a few blends that prevent scraping. The new variety of polyureas come in clear or can be pigmented in any color. Endless design options make them ideal decorative coatings.
However, the real benefit is their high performance and low maintenance.
Polyurea and Epoxy Coatings Benefits
1. Surface Preparation is the first and most crucial step in the process. This consists of sanding the exterior to a smooth, flat surface. When done correctly all the high spots in your concrete is removed. This is important for the outcome. You want the coating to be flat and blemish free. After the floor is ground smooth, cracks in the floor will be exposed and need to be filled.
2. Color Options are unlimited. Polyureas are clear coats. Your concrete can be stained or dyed then coatings can be applied. A second option is to add color pigments into the coating. Decorative chips or quartz can be added accompanied by a clear top coat. Decorative chips come in numerous sizes and colors. Small 1/16th inch chips resemble colored quartz at a portion of the cost. There are also designer chips that include glitter.
Custom graphics can be designed and inlaid within coats. These are a high definition, specialized cloth material that is protected by the clear top coat.
3. Bacteria Resistant – One of the unique perks to polyaspartic and epoxy coatings is the tight linking of their chemical structure. The result is minimal micro-scratches and what scratches may appear to have a straight edge as opposed to a frayed edge. Straight edges in a scratch enable dirt and bacteria to be easily cleaned from a floor. Coatings that get frayed edges to trap dirt and moisture which breeds bacteria and makes the floor look dirty and yellow.
4. Waterproof After the floor is prepared correctly the coatings are applied. Polyureas and epoxy coatings absorb into the surface. This is called “wetting.” When the coating cures, all the veins and tiny air holes in concrete are capped off, and the coating becomes part of the floor. This process stops moisture vapor from delaminating the surface.
5. Ease of maintenance. It’s recommended to use warm water, a neoprene squeegee, and stiff bristle broom to clean the floor. If there is not a floor drain, a wet vac can be used. This system eliminated the need for a mop that does nothing more than move dirt around. Floors are cleaned fast and dry instantly. This is not only a money-saving system but restores clarity to the level. With regular cleansing, the floor will look brand new for years.